What am I entitled to?

(12 ratings)
Another useful site is, which bills itself as the UK's first online directory of part-time jobs for full-time mums. Created by mum-of-two Joslyn Bellamy, it has a directory of jobs to do from home (no childcare costs!). Plus inspiration, support and tips on setting up a business.

If you opt for a part-time job, it can be difficult to know what your entitlements are. New mum Karen says: 'I've been offered a part-time job but I'm confused about my holiday entitlement. I'll do 24 hours a week spread over five days, working the shorter days to fit in with school hours. But I've been told that my holiday entitlement is pro-rata. Surely that doesn't mean I get only two weeks' holiday a year?'

The answer is that if you work five days a week, the normal practice in many companies is for you to have the same number of days off as anyone else. But you should check with your potential employer's HR department to confirm this before taking the job. You're entitled to have everything clear in your mind before you start.

Mums who qualify for Working Tax Credit and are offered a part-time job may be entitled to help with childcare. If you're at least 16, a single parent working 16 hours or more a week, or you both work at least 16 hours a week, or one of you works and the other is too ill to work, and you use a registered childcare (such as a nursery), then you're eligible to apply for up to 70% of your childcare costs. This is up to £135 a week for one child, and £200 a week for two or more children.

Continued below...

To work out how much you would be entitled to, log on to To apply, contact the tax credits helpline on 0845 300 3900.

Your rating

Average rating

  • 3
(12 ratings)

Your comments

comments powered by Disqus

FREE Newsletter