1. It's time for you to take control. Accept that men can turn into mice when their mum's are around. Resenting it won't help him or you.
2. When she's at her most annoying, remember you both have strong opinions because you love the baby. You're both on the same side.
3. Just because she's negative, you don't have to be. Challenge yourself to be positive with her.
4. Tell her what you appreciate about her support, you'll find something, rather than row about her irritating habits.
5. Identify stressful confrontational times like mealtimes or bedtimes, and make sure she's not around. Welcome her at times that suit you.
6. Ask for her help in specific practical ways that'll make your life easier. She's the perfect person to give you regular 'me' time.
7. Let mum-in-law support your relationship instead of undermine it. Make a 'date' with your partner, and book her to baby-sit.
Lorraine Thomas, parenting expert