Ensure the bunk is as safe as you can make it, conforming to the British safety standard (BS EN747). It needs:
- Guard rails on each side at the top.
- Rail gaps of 6-7.5cm (21?2 -3in).
- A mattress at least 10cm (4in) below the top of the guard rail.
- Gaps between under-mattress slats of no more than 7.5cm (3in).
- A ladder with treads at least 3cm (12in) wide and 20cm (8in) apart.
Children under 6 should never sleep in a top bunk, but don't forget their safety considerations. The space at the bottom should allow the child underneath to sit up without bashing his head!