What are the signs to look out for?
There is no particular type of person that self harms and so knowing what to look for isn't very straightforward, but here are some things to watch out for:
- Any change in your child that you think is more than them just growing up and wanting more space.
- They're wearing long sleeves/ trousers when it's hot or just more than usual - it could be a sign that they're trying to hide their injuries.
- When asked about injuries, they're embarrassed and vague about the cause.
- When asked about injuries they have a very well prepared speech about the cause.
- They have very low self esteem
- You have found something in their bag/room that could be used to hurt themselves but they would have no other use for.