How to knit: casting on
Learn how to knit with these fun knitting instructions videos! Woman's Weekly knitting expert Tina Egleton shows you step-by-step knitting for beginners with this how to cast on video.
Psst! Don't forget to check out our free knitting patterns gallery, to put your skills into practice!
Learn how to knit: casting on
- Take ball of yarn and pull up the centre loop.
- Make the end of the yarn into a ring taking the short end across the front and to the back of the ring.
- Insert your needle through the ring and under the short end and draw through a loop.
- Pull up the ends, then shorten the end only to tighten up the slipknot.
- With a needle holding the slipknot in your left hand and yarn at back; insert the point of the right hand needle into the slipknot.
- Take the yarn under and over the point of the right hand needle and draw the loop through, without dropping the slipknot off the left needle.
- Place this loop on the left needle. This is how you make a stitch.
- Insert the point of the right hand needle between the last two stitches and take the yarn under and over the point of the right hand needle.
- Draw this through and place the loop on the left hand needle.
- Continue working in this way by working between the last two stitches until the required number of stitches have been cast on.