Sparklers are often viewed as being harmless, but they do burn at fierce temperatures. Sparklers should not be given to anyone under the age of 5. To a young child, the heat from a sparkler is equivalent to the heat from a welding torch.
Safety rules for sparklers
- Never give them to young children under 5.
- Always wear gloves with sparklers, preferably leather ones.
- Hold it at arm's length while an adult lights it for you.
- Never wave it about near someone else as you could burn them.
- Never hold a baby in your arms when you are holding a sparkler.
- When the sparkler has finished, put it into a bucket of cold water straight away and leave it there.
RoSPA Guide to firework safety, Safety Education, Autumn/Winter 1995