Did you know?Courgettes aren't just green and long - you can get yellow ones and round ones too! However, the green kind that we all know and love will be easiest for you to grow.
What you'll need
- Courgette seeds
- 3in (7.5cm) pots
- Multi purpose compost or well-rotted manure
- Slug pellets or beer traps
When to start planting?April/May.
When are they ready?July to October.
Where to plant?At first, you'll just plant them in small pots which can be put on the windowsill. Once you plant them outside, pick a sunny and sheltered spot.
Step-by-step guide1. Sow your seeds in spring. Put 2 seeds in each pot with compost or manure. Once the seedlings appear, pinch out the weakest one.
2. Plant outside in May/June after the last frosts. Slugs can damage the plants so use slug pellets or beer traps to protect them.
3. As soon as they start cropping, give them lots of water. Always water at the base of the plant.
4. Pick the courgettes once the flowers fall away.
CostYou can buy 40 courgette seeds for around £2 but just 2 plants will easily last a family of 4 for the whole summer.
Top tip for growingCourgettes will grow in containers but the pot should be as big as possible to provide a good root run and retain moisture. Use multi-purpose compost and mix in a bit of well-rotted horse manure. After 4 weeks feed every week and water religiously. Dry compost will ruin the plant. Pick the fruits regularly.
Goodtoknow's easy gardening rating:5/5 - they're easy to grow and don't need a lot of maintenance.
Courgette recipes- 20 ways with courgettes
- Courgette loaf
- More courgette recipes