As soon as they click that button, every aspect of their digital life is suddenly open to prying eyes, and every one of their posts are open to awkward parental comments. From gushing compliments on selfies to lightning-fast comebacks on whiny statuses, they never know what their mum and dad will come out with next - and what their friends will see before they have the chance to press delete.
And, poor loves, it doesn't even end there. Not only do they live in fear of humiliation on their own pages, they can also see everything their parents share, and while most keep their posts fairly low-key, there are still some parents that haven't quite learnt the art of a) not oversharing and b) actually using Facebook in the first place.
Embarassing for the kids? Sure. Hilarious for us? Definitely. Here are 18 of the wittiest (or just downright clueless) parents on the internet - any of them look familiar?
1. This dad, who totally ruined his daughter's sultry photo with this recreation...
2. This mum, who doesn't even recognise the comedic genius she is
3. This brutally honest dad
4. This mum, who's still got faith in her own good looks
Image: I Lyke Funny
5. This mum, who can't quite let the family pet go
6. This father, who took the opportunity to expose a few home truths
Image: Josh Spector
7. This dad, who had the same idea
8. This dad, who has an excellent memory
9. This mum, who needs to rethink her captioning strategy
Image: Man Made DIY
10. This country music-loving dad
Image: Funny Junk
11. The breastfeeding mum
12. This mum, who has no time for potty mouth (most of the time)
Image: I Lyke Funny
13. This mum, who just won a point for feminism
14. This queen of the double entendre mum
15. This mother who forgot she gave birth twice
16. This chore-pedalling dad
17. This mum, who can't get enough of her own jokes
18. This mum, who took a while to get to grips with Facebook
19. And this dad, who has absolutely no idea how to use Facebook but still got what he wanted anyway
Image: We Know Memes