So when Suzanne Dale saw a 'life hack' on Facebook about turning your toaster sideways, she thought she had cracked it.
However the 66 year old has warned 'other people as daft as me' not to try the trick in their homes because of the dangerous blaze that ensued.
Within minutes the toaster had gone up in flames and Suzanne had to call the emergency services to her Manchester home to deal with the incident.
Thankfully Suzanne's quick-action saved her kitchen from being completely gutted by the trick, which has been promoted by celebrities such as Jamie Oliver in The Guardian.
However the severity of the fire meant it took 20 minutes for the firefighters to extinguish it and another few hours before the house was cleared of smoke.
Speaking to The Manchester Evening news the pensioner said; 'Luckily I live in a house and have a garden but if it was anyone living in a flat or somebody who was less agile who couldn't get out as quick.'
Suzanne was able to see the funny side and posted on Facebook 'time for a trip to Argos' to replace her kitchen utensil.
Officials advised that; 'Toasters are not designed to be put on their side and used to grill cheese on toast.'
Suzanne's social media warning has now been shared over 10,000 times.
The London Fire Brigade added; 'Not only does it generate heat on to the work surface as we saw at this incident but the dry leftover crumbs from the bottom of the toaster can get onto the hot elements and ignite.'
'I never thought I'd have to give this advice as it's painfully obvious, but if you want cheese on toast use a grill, not a toaster.'