You always see them in the school run, or out and about hanging out with their kids as if they were mates from school - the cool mums and dads.
They always seem to have a way around the teen angst and mood swings, but how do they do it?
Well, now you can find out, and even check if you're one of them, thanks to a survey of UK's teenagers, aged 13 to 19, which has revealed the ultimate 'check-list' of what it takes.
First off, mums are way ahead of the curve - sorry dads! According to the pool, 38% of teenagers said their mum was cooler than dad, as opposed to the 28% who were team dad.
And if you thought number one on the list would be to let them do whatever they want, well, erm... you were sort of right. The top requirement for cool parents is to give their kids privacy, according to 47% of respondents.
The other two most important factors in the top three? Listening to them and looking after them when they're sick (so they DO still need you after all!).
Allowing them to learn from their mistakes is also very important for teenagers, 34% said, as is liking their group of friends according to 35%.
Letting friends hang out at your house is also key for cool parents, according to 40% of respondents
Now for the dont's. According to the survey, 36% says their parents are cool for not going through their phones, while not telling them what to wear and not kissing them in public also gives you cool points. Not smoking is 13 on the list, so your kids want you as healthy as possible!
Keeping up with technology, on the other hand, wasn't as important as you might expect, as the teenagers surveyed placed having an Instagram at the bottom of the check list, as well as not using emojis on texts. However, they still would like you to have a music streaming account and have the latest iPhone, but do not friend them on Facebook.
On average, parents make their kids cringe four times a month, with 78% saying their parents are embarrassing.
But despite all the cringing and embarrassement, they still love you - 96% claimed they enjoyed hanging out with their parents.
The survey was commissioned by Currys PC World, who said: 'Parents are always under the spotlight when it comes to being considered "cool" by their offspring and while there are some things us parents might not ever win, music is one of the few that work in our favour.'
Musicians Sophie Ellis Bextor and Richard Jones, who are also Currys PC World ambassadors, said that even though they're musicians, their kids don't think they're cool (we're not alone then!)
Here's the full list of 47 signs of a cool parent, so you can find out once and for all if you're a cool mum or dad:
1. Respects your privacy 47%
2. Listens well 46%
3. Looks after you when you’re sick 43%
4. Lets your friends hang out at your house 40%
5. Drives your around 39%
6. Is cool about sleepovers 37%
7. Doesn't go through your phone 36%
8. Helps with your homework / coursework 36%
9. Doesn't tell you what to wear 36%
10. Takes you out for dinner 35%
11. Likes your group of friends 35%
12. Lets you learn by your mistakes 34%
13. Doesn't smoke 29%
14. Always supports you in friendship dramas 29%
15. Is interested in your social life 29%
16. Picks you up from parties 29%
17. Cooks perfect roast potatoes 24%
18. Doesn't kiss you in public 23%
19. Has a cool car 23%
20. Lets you have a sip of wine or beer from time to time 23%
21. Doesn't hold your hand in public 23%
22. Is good at video / computer games 23%
23. Tells funny stories to your friends 23%
24. Knows the words to current pop songs 23%
25. Still looks good in jeans 23%
26. Takes you to concerts and gigs 22%
27. Lets you bring a friend on holiday 22%
28. Understand text lingo 21%
29. Takes you to sporting events 20%
30. Doesn't sing or dance in public 20%
31. Lets you borrow their perfume / aftershave 20%
32. Happy to teach you to drive 19%
33. Plays cool music in front of your mates 19%
34. Knows the in-jokes and slang 19%
35. Watches Netflix with you 19%
36. Has a good hairstyle 18%
37. Doesn't friend you on Facebook 18%
38. Drives quick but safely 18%
39. Has the latest iPhone 16%
40. Knows which bands are in the download charts 15%
41. Addresses your friends by their nicknames 14%
42. Takes you to the theatre / art galleries 12%
43. Has a music streaming account 12%
44. Doesn't wear giant headphones 11%
45. Doesn't put kisses on texts 10%
46. Doesn't use emojis in texts 8%
47. Has an Instagram account 8%
How do you rank on the cool list? Leave us a comment and let us know your thoughts