But have you ever considered who is watching the Elf? Who is monitoring his behaviour to make sure it's more peppermint candy canes than shots at three o'clock in the morning?
As these parents found, there are some hilariously alternative and extremely naughty Elf On A Shelf ideas out there, and we'd keep an eye out in case your Elf is up to any of this...
1. This Elf who found out how marshmallows are madeImage:Pinterest
2. This Elf who should have taken the busImage:Imgur
3. This Elf who kindly offered to help out with the baking
4. This Elf who can't stand gingerbreadImage:Imgur
5. This Elf who's just had enough already
Snowflake, our Elf on the Shelf & where she was when she arrived at our house...also how I feel about the holidays. pic.twitter.com/2JpA7mx9GV— Lori Fini ð (@LFiniOH) November 28, 2015
6. This Elf who has made some new friendsImage:Imgur
7. This Elf who wanted his own office Christmas partyImage:Imgur
8. This Elf who knows you should always sleep with one eye openImage:Imgur
9. This Elf who was feeling ignored
I forever win at hiding the elf on the shelf... pic.twitter.com/FGzANxgADp— scott (@__scottdavis) November 26, 2015