Chris Gard and Connie Yates have given up their legal fight to take their 11 month old son Charlie Gard abroad for life saving treatment.
A lawyer representing the couple told the High Court today that ‘time had run out’ for the terminally-ill child.
The devastated couple had campaigned to take their son to America for life-saving treatment, as Charlie was born with mitochondrial depletion syndrome, a condition that is fatal if untreated.
The couple raised over 1.3 million in public donations with the help of 82,000 people, which they intended to use for experimental treatment for their son, but today said they wanted to withdraw their application.
Grant Armstrong, their lawyer, said that Charlie’s parents made the final decision after an American doctor said it was too late to give him the revolutionary treatment they were hoping to get him – nucleoside therapy.
‘For Charlie, it’s too late, time has run out, irreversible muscular damage has been done and the treatment can no longer be a success,’ he explained. ‘Charlie has waited patiently for treatment. Due to delay, that window of opportunity has been lost.’
‘In light of that fact the parents have taken the extremely hard decision with their legal advisors … to withdraw their application.’
According to Mr Armstrong the US neurologist Dr Michio Hirano who was willing to give Charlie treatment had refused after he saw results of a new MRI scan last week.
Video of the Week
The couple were told the news on Friday and the courts were presented with the news this morning.
Chris and Connie will now put all their efforts into creating a foundation, where Charlie’s voice will ‘continue to be heard’.
Speaking outside the courts, Connie said: ‘We will always know in our hearts that we did our very best for Charlie and we hope he is proud of us.’