Family issue safety warning after girl, 14, dies from charging her phone in the bath

A grandmother has shared her heartbreak after her teenage granddaughter died whilst using her phone in the bath.

Donna O’Guin, of New Mexico, USA, told local papers of how her granddaughter Madison Coe had been electrocuted whilst taking a bath.

Madison, 14, had been either charging or using her phone in the bathroom when she was tragically killed by the electric current connecting with the water.

Donna told news outlet KCBD: ‘There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened.’

‘This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else. And we want something good to come out of this … awareness of not using your cellphone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging,’ she continued.

Angela O’Guinn Downs

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE share and bring awareness!! A friend of a friend put this together. I don’t even know this person and they are helping to bring awareness to their kids and everyone else’s!

‘She is going to be greatly missed by all of us. She has a special place in my heart.’

Since their tragic loss, the devastated family have been focusing on raising awareness of the dangers of mixing electricity with water and encouraging teenagers to switch off from technology whilst in the bathroom.

So far the campaign has gained lots of attention on social media, with Madison’s mother Angela recently sharing a poster made by someone she didn’t even know.

‘PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE share and bring awareness!!,’ wrote Angela alongside the homemade poster. ‘A friend of a friend put this together. I don’t even know this person and they are helping to bring awareness to their kids and everyone else’s!’

People have rushed to offer support for the grieving family from all over the country, with one commenter writing: ‘So sorry for your loss and sending my prayers to you and your family from Palm Coast Florida.’

Another wrote: ‘I think you are using this tragedy so thoughtfully to enlighten others of this danger. There are so many young people who probably woundn’t think such a thing can happen. I am so very sorry for your loss.’

‘You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Shared so people can be educated on the hazards of using phones and chargers while in water,’ said a third.

The family are raising money via a GoFundMe page, to help pay for Madison’s funeral.

Video of the Week

Madison’s cousin Mark De Leon Wilson, who set up the page, explained: ‘My cousin Madison Coe passed away on Sunday morning due to a tragic accident.’

‘I know funerals are very expensive. Please help my aunt and uncle out with the expenses for her funeral/memorial costs. It is so hard losing a loved one, but especially a child so young. Thank you.’