Fidget spinners are being recalled from stores in the UK, after concerns were raised about the popular toys being a potential choking hazard.
The spinners were originally created to help children focus their energy, manage stress and concentrate better, particularly if they have conditions such as autism or ADHD, but in recent months, they’ve since turned into something of a playground craze, quickly becoming available in thousands of shops across the country.
The focus of the recall is devices which contain LED lights, as these are powered by lithium-ion batteries, which could cause choking and internal bleeding if swallowed by young children.
However, one mother has already issued a broader warning about the toys after her daughter managed to get part of a fidget spinner lodged in her throat, and had to undergo surgery to remove the offending item.
Kelly Rose Joniec described her horror in a Facebook post, explaining how 10-year-old Britton made an ‘odd retching noise’ and began to choke after accidentally swallowing one of the bushings from her spinner.
‘She said she’d put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it,’ she detailed.
‘Fortunately we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while…not only because of the initial ingestion, but then the concern about the composition and structure of the object, and finally, the risk with general anesthesia.’
Martin Veale, cabinet member for community services in Bath and North East Somerset Council said of the recall: ‘Fidget spinners are new and currently very popular among young people.’
‘We want to ensure that, when using these devices, young people are safe.’
Video of the Week
‘Our Trading Standards officers have been looking at some of the spinners on sale and found them to have very small dangerous parts, so for public safety it’s only right that they be withdrawn from sale.’
He added that anyone wanting to purchase a fidget spinner should do so from a reputable trader, and check the safety warnings, which should be clearly seen on the packaging.