Choose the right family pet: Cats
The local vet says: 'There's evidence to show that kids who grow up with pets are more self-assured and socially adept than those without. Animals communicate with body language and so the children learn basic social skills from the experts.'
Things to remember: The expensive part of owning a cat is its food. If you think it's going to cost you at least £1 a day to feed your cat, over a year that's nearly £400. And over 10 to 20 years, that's between 4 to 8 grand. Plus, there are jabs and pet insurance to pay out for too.
Family rating? Cats are brilliant if you love spending time with animals and can give that long-term commitment.
Get up to £40 cashback with our pet insurance cashback deals.
- Celebrities with twins
- Creative play: Christmas gift ideas that encourage imaginative play
- Halloween party ideas: Monster Doors
- Best artificial Christmas Trees
- Free knitting patterns
- Top Christmas toys for 2016
- Creative play: Birthday gift ideas that encourage imaginative play
- Like mother, like daughter
- Princess Charlotte's baby album