Choose the right family pet: Hamsters
The local vet says: 'Small children need supervision around small pets. They may drop the hamster or injure the animal because they're not good at handling them, and small hamsters can't defend themselves like a cat or dog would.'
Things to remember: Hamsters can get very irritable when they're woken from sleeping and picked up. They may even bite, so ensure you supervise the child who is handling a hamster.
Family rating? Hamsters are perfect furballs and make great pets for children.
- World Book Day costume ideas
- Best artificial Christmas Trees 2017
- Top Christmas toys 2017
- Kate Middleton pregnant: Her best baby bump moments
- Best potties: Which is the best potty for toilet training?
- Hidden sugar in kids foods: What's in your child's favourites?
- Top kids' toys for 2017
- Free knitting patterns
- The royals as babies