Red squirrels of Formby
What’s there: The famous red squirrels (once under threat but now fighting back) are rarely spotted, but in these pine woods, they’re a common sight. The 2-mile Formby Red Squirrel Walk through the pinewoods is the best way to hunt for these cute creatures and a great way to keep kids occupied. Spending most of their time in the treetops, the best time to see them is early morning – look for fallen pine cones. Also close by is the new Sefton Coastal Footpath and you can pick up an audio guide from the entrance.
Open: From dawn to dusk. The entrance kiosk, car parks and toilets are accessible from 9am-5.30pm but check the website for updated times. There is a parking charge but no other entrance fees.
More info: National Trust Formby
- The royals as babies
- Royal baby traditions
- Celebrities with twins
- Creative play: Christmas gift ideas that encourage imaginative play
- Halloween party ideas: Monster Doors
- Best artificial Christmas Trees
- Free knitting patterns
- Top Christmas toys for 2016
- Creative play: Birthday gift ideas that encourage imaginative play