The parents of a young boy who pulled a boiling kettle onto himself have open up about their heartbreak over his terrifying ordeal.
Kerrie and Mick Hall’s 17-month-old son Hunter suffered severe burns as a result of the accident, and has since had to endure multiple surgeries to treat the burns on his on his head, chest, left foot sole and right leg and foot.
‘He learned to walk three or four steps three days before the accident,’ Kerrie said to 7News.
‘Before the accident he spoke all the basic words… but now all he could do is grunt.’
Kerrie told the local news outlet that at the time of the accident, she’d immediately ripped off Hunter’s t-shirt and shouted for help from her husband. The couple covered his body in cold water and rushed him to hospital, where his blisters began to develop.
Kerrie Hall added a new photo – with Hunter Hall.
The family, who are from Queensland, were just three months into a year-long caravan trip around Australia when the incident took place, but have had to put their travel plans on hold as Hunter’s painful recovery continues.
In addition to his operations, Hunter, the youngest of four boys, also has to have lotion applied eight times a day and undergoes regular physiotherapy.
A GoFundMe page has been set up to help cover medical costs and bills to provide him with ‘the required suitable sun care, clothing, and special shoes he needs.’ The Halls have already had to purchase a special pram to protect Hunter from the sun, at the cost of $300.
Kerrie adds that her son is likely to need support until he stops growing, at around the age of 18 or 19.
Video of the Week
‘This will affect his whole life,’ she said. ‘We are hoping it won’t affect him too much. When he starts school he might be bullied – with people looking at him differently because of his leg. We just need to be positive and [teach him] that he’s no different.’
‘We’re confident Hunter is hoping to have a normal life, as much as possible.’