* 40% of sexually active 13-14 year olds were drunk or stoned when they first had sex.
* In a recent survey by the charity, Parentline Plus, 20% of men and 13% of women aged 15-19 said alcohol was the main reason they’d had sex for the first time.
* Around 36 per cent of teenagers in Britain have tried illegal drugs like cannabis or ecstasy.
* NHS statistics show that one-fifth of secondary school pupils admit to regular drinking.
* Every day 15 children under the age of 16 are admitted to A&E because of alcohol abuse.
* 11-13 year-olds who drink regularly have more than 10 units of alcohol a week, compared to six in 2001.
* Older teenagers who drink regularly have an average of 11.4 units a week, that’s about five and a half-pints. Half of those are binge drinking at least two days a week.
Read on for tips and hints on how to talk to your teens about drinking, drugs and underage sex.