Served with roast duck, these thyme-roasted baby potatoes and carrots with gingered green beans are the perfect accompaniment.
For the thyme-roasted baby potatoes and carrots
Per serving: 172 calories, 8g fat
3-4tbsp duck fat (taken from tin with roast duck)
500g (1lb) baby potatoes, scrubbed 500g (1lb) small carrots, e.g. Chantenay Sprigs of thyme Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Set the oven to moderate, gas mark 4 or 180°C. Heat the duck fat in a shallow roasting tin in the oven.
2. Place the potatoes and carrots in a pan of water and bring to the boil. Simmer the vegetables for 4-5 mins, then drain them well.
3. Add to the hot fat in the pan and turn them in the fat. Add the thyme to the tin, tucking under the vegetables and season. Cook the vegetables for about 1 hr in the oven, above the duck. See recipe for marmalade-roasted duck with Cointreau gravy
4. Once the duck has been removed from the oven, increase the temperature to fairly hot, gas mark 6 or 200°C, for 10-15 mins to crisp the vegetables slightly. Remove from oven and garnish with thyme. (Not suitable for freezing).
For the gingered green beans
Per serving: 57 calories, 5g fat
250-350g (8-12oz) green beans, trimmed 30g (1oz) butter 1 level tbsp freshly grated ginger Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook the beans in boiling water for 5-7 mins, or until cooked to your liking, then drain them well.
2. Heat the butter in a saucepan. Add the ginger and cook it for a few seconds, then add the drained beans to the pan and turn to coat in the ginger mixture. Season to taste. Transfer the beans to a warm serving dish. (Not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional values are for maximum number of servings
Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: Chris Alack. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Video of the Week
There are more unmissable recipes in this week’s Woman’s Weekly, on sale every Wednesday, only 82p! Subscribe today to Woman’s Weekly and get 20% off!