Consider upkeep costs
A rescue animal is another option. Not only is it a lovely thing to do, you'll usually be paying less than if you bought it from a pet shop or breeder, although the ongoing costs remain the same. Upfront costs usually include a donation to the charity and you may get subsidised vaccinations, neutering and other assistance.
If you're thinking of getting pet but aren't sure which one's best for you, have read through our feature on picking the right pet for your family.
- 50 easy ideas to make more money
- Work from home jobs: 42 jobs you can do from home
- Best UK shopping outlets
- 10 cheap ways to spruce up your garden
- Best 20 money saving apps
- Christmas decorations under a fiver
- 116 money-saving tips for mums
- How to save money on medicine
- Spruce up your home on a budget