Ensure there's no time limit on how long you can claim for each illness. If your pet gets a chronic illness where they need treatment for the rest of their life, an annual cover policy will only pay for the first year.
Make sure there's no 'cut-off' age as you want your pet to be covered no matter how long they live for.
Third party cover is, for example, if your dog causes an accident and someone injured sues for loss of earnings. You should call your home contents insurer too as the policy may include your pet.
Like home, car and contents insurance, switching is key to getting good deals so don't stick to the same pet insurance. If you can get a higher level of cover for a better price, why not? Remember, though, that most insurers won't insure your pet for any pre-existing conditions or anything that they've already been treated for, so it's not always worth switching in those situations.
If you're looking for pet insurance, check our cashback partner Quidco for a great deal that you could earn money on too!
- 50 easy ideas to make more money
- Work from home jobs: 42 jobs you can do from home
- Best UK shopping outlets
- 10 cheap ways to spruce up your garden
- Best 20 money saving apps
- Christmas decorations under a fiver
- 116 money-saving tips for mums
- How to save money on medicine
- Spruce up your home on a budget