Bacon and chilli pasta
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Tastebud-tingling bacon and chilli combine with pasta to create a super-satisfying family meal that's quick and easy to prepare
- 400g (14oz) spaghetti
- 200g (7oz) streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 yellow peppers, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 500g jar tomato pasta sauce with herbs
- Parmesan and fresh basil to serve
If the pasta sticks together, you may have drained it too well. Just add a splash of hot cooking water.
- Cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions. Drain and set to one side.
- Heat a large heavy-based frying pan and add the bacon. Cook for 5 mins until just beginning to colour.
- Add the peppers and cook for 10 mins until lightly charred. Reduce the heat and add the garlic and chilli, then cook for 2 mins.
- Pour in the pasta sauce and bring to the boil. Add a little water (or wine) if you like, and serve spooned over the hot spaghetti with freshly grated Parmesan and basil leaves.