Chocolate and raspberry pavlovas
For the pavlovas:
- 2 large egg whites
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar
- 1tbsp cocoa powder, sifted, plus extra for dusting
- 1tsp cider or white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp cornflour
- 250g (8oz) raspberries
- 1tbsp icing sugar
For the filling:
- 100g (4oz) bar 70% cocoa dark chocolate
- 284ml (½ pint) pot double cream
- Large baking sheet lined with baking parchment
Unfilled meringues will keep for a week in an airtight tin. Or open-freeze them and pack in a rigid container. Use within three months.
- To make the pavlovas, whisk the egg whites in a large, clean bowl until stiff but not dry. Add half the caster sugar and whisk until stiff and glossy, then whisk in the rest of the sugar and the sifted cocoa powder quickly, until the meringue is thick and glossy. Whisk in the vinegar and cornflour.
- Spoon mixture on to baking parchment to make six nests, each about 7.5cm (3in) in diameter. Bake in a preheated oven at 140°C (280°F, gas mark 1) for 50 mins, until they are crisp enough to take off the paper. Leave them on the tray to cool.
- To make the filling, melt the chocolate over a pan of hot water or in the microwave. When almost melted, stir it through, off the heat. Cool for about 10 mins. Whip the cream until it just holds its shape, add all but 3tbsp of the chocolate. Mix gently to marble it with the cream. Drizzle the rest of the chocolate from a spoon or from a paper piping bag in zigzags over the pavlovas. Pile the meringues high with the chocolate cream, then top with the raspberries. Dust with a little cocoa powder and then icing sugar.