Victoria sponge recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 -25 minsplus cooling
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Victoria sponge is a classic baking recipe to master. The soft vanilla-infused sponge sandwiched together with a light buttercream and jam filling is a favourite for parties, birthdays and afternoon tea. This classic recipe shows you how easy it is to make a Victoria sponge at home - once you've mastered this recipe, the baking world is your oyster!
To get perfect measurements, weigh the eggs - and then use the same weight for each of the caster sugar, butter and flour.
For the cake:
- 3 medium eggs
- 175g (6oz) butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
For the filling:
- 142ml carton double cream
- 4-6 level tablespoons raspberry jam
- caster sugar, for dredging
- 2 x 18cm (7in) round sandwich tins, greased and base lined with baking parchment
- Tip all the ingredients into a bowl and beat until smooth. Divide mixture between the sandwich tins and level the surfaces.
- Bake the cakes in the centre of a preheated oven - 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 for 20-25 mins, or until the cakes have risen and are golden, and spring back when lightly pressed in the centre.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave them to cool in the tins for 5-10 mins, then turn them out on to a wire rack and leave them to cool completely.
- Spread the jam over the base of one of the cakes. Lightly whip the double cream and spread it over the base of the other cake. Sandwich the two cakes together. Dredge with caster sugar before serving.
- The unfilled Victoria sponge cakes can be packed in freezer bags and frozen for up to 3 months. Allow to defrost before filling.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 370(kcal)
- Fat 24.0g
- Saturates 15.0g
- Sugars 24.0g
- Salt 0.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.