A surprisingly rich treat: banana slices skewered on to sticks, dipped in caramel, and left to set. Delicious!
- 200g (7oz) granulated sugar
- 2 firm bananas, chilled
- 30g (1oz) sesame seeds
- Raspberry sauce or smoothie, to serve (optional)
You'll need to work quickly before the caramel sets. If it does, warm it through gently again.
- Place the sugar in a pan with 100ml (3½ fl oz) water. Heat slowly and without stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and bubble rapidly, until the liquid begins to colour.
- Meanwhile, cut each banana into four, then skewer the pieces on to bamboo sticks.
- Once the caramel is a light golden colour, remove from the heat and stir in the sesame seeds – it will foam. When the foam subsides, dip the banana pieces into the caramel to coat them, then place on silicon paper to set.
- Serve the toffee bananas when set but still warm, with raspberry sauce or smoothie, if preferred.