Date and maple flapjacks
Turn dates and oats into a deliciously sweet crumbly treat with these fabulous flapjacks
- 250g (8oz) butter
- 250g (8oz) soft light brown sugar
- 4tbsp maple syrup
- 300g (10oz) porridge oats
- 250g (8oz) stoned dates, chopped
These flapjacks aren't suitable for freezing so you'll have to eat them all asap. What a shame!
- Melt the butter, sugar and maple syrup in a small saucepan.
- Stir the oats into the melted mixture and transfer half to a 18cm (7in) shallow square tin, lined with baking parchment. Spread out evenly and press down well.
- Place the chopped dates on top in an even layer.
- Top with the remaining oat mixture and press down lightly to level.
- Bake in the centre of the oven at 170°C (325°F, gas mark 3) for 40-45 minutes or until the flapjacks are a light golden colour.
- Remove from the oven and leave the flapjacks to cool for about 10 minutes. Then cut the mixture into fingers, but leave in the tin until completely cold.
- Remove from the tin and store in an airtight container for up to a week.