Ginger polenta cake
Learn how to make this mouth-watering ginger polenta cake. The ginger in this recipe gives this gorgeous gluten-free cake a delicious kick. This delicious bake takes only 15 mins to prep and then you can let the oven do all the hard work for you. The tangy ginger flavour and the softness of the polenta sponge work wonders together. This recipe serves 15 people - great for social gatherings, parties or as a light afternoon tea option. Enjoy it over a cuppa with friends!
For the cake:
- 250g (8oz) butter, softened
- 250g (8oz) dark brown sugar
- 1tbsp ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 4 medium eggs
- 250g (8oz) fine polenta (cornmeal)
- 100g (3½ oz) ground almonds
- 1 level tsp baking powder (gluten-free)
For the topping:
- 6 pieces stem ginger
- 2 tbsp ginger syrup (from stem ginger jar)
Love ginger? Fresh, grated ginger will give this cake more of a kick!
- Beat the butter, sugar, ginger and salt together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and fold in the polenta, ground almonds and baking powder.
- Spoon the mixture into a 26 x 16.5cm (10¼ in x 6½ in) traybake tin, lined with baking parchment, and level the surface.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 45-60 mins at 170°C (325°F, gas mark 3), or until the cake is a light golden colour and feels just firm to the touch in the centre. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Cut the stem ginger into long strips and scatter over the cake. Spoon the stem-ginger syrup over the top.
- Leave the cake to cool completely and then cut into squares.