Stuffed peppers with couscous, courgette and mozzarella
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
This delicious stuffed peppers recipe make a colourful Mediterranean-style dish with sunblush tomatoes and melting mozzarella - and yes, it tastes as good as it looks! Not only does a portion of this recipe equal one of your 5-a-day, it also works out at only 315 calories and 0.4g salt per serving. These stuffed peppers are ideal for lunch with a salad or served for dinner with new potatoes and fresh greens. Ready in just 30 mins, our stuffed peppers with couscous, courgette and mozzarella are vegetarian-friendly and are sure to tempt children with their vibrant colours and tasty flavours too.
To give the stuffed peppers a Greek twist, add olives, parsley and feta to the couscous.
- 4 red peppers, halved
- Olive oil
- 15g (½ oz) butter
- 1 courgette, finely diced
- 110g (4oz) pack lemon and coriander couscous
- 85g (3oz) sunblush tomatoes, chopped
- 3tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 125g (4½ oz) pack mozzarella
- Green salad, to serve
- Brush the peppers with a little olive oil. Place on a baking sheet or roasting tray cut side down and grill under a medium heat for 5 mins. Turn and grill for a further 5 mins or until the peppers are tender but not collapsed.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan and cook the courgette until golden. Add the couscous and cook for 1 min. Add 200ml (7fl oz) boiling water, stir and remove from the heat. Cover and leave to stand for 5 mins.
- Stir the tomatoes and basil into the couscous and use this mixture to fill the peppers. Top each one with a slice of mozzarella.
- Place the stuffed peppers under the grill for 2-3 mins until the mozzarella has melted.
- Serve your stuffed peppers, warm or cold, with a green salad.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 315(kcal)
- Fat 18.0g
- Saturates 7.0g
- Sugars 9.0g
- Salt 0.4g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.