Beef and Guinness pie
Cooking time:plus cooling
A super-succulent meat pie - just the thing to warm up the family on a cold winter's night
- 3tbsp plain flour
- 500g (1lb) braising steak, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 300g pack shallots
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 330ml bottle Guinness or stout
- Hot beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ x 375g pack shortcrust pastry
If the stout flavour is too strong for the kids, replace it with the same quantity of beef stock.
- Season flour in a bowl, add meat and coat. Heat oil and brown meat. Set meat to one side, then brown shallots. Add celery, cook for 2 mins.
- Return meat, add stout and top up with stock. Add bay leaves, bring to boil and cook for 1 hour. Then put filling in a pie dish and leave to cool.
- Roll pastry, then cut out a lid for the dish, plus two long strips. Brush rim of dish with milk and press strips around edge. Brush with milk and put pie lid on top. Seal edges, make a hole in centre then cook in a preheated oven at 200°C (400ºF, Gas Mark 6) for 40-50 mins.