Gorgonzola stuffed mushrooms
These delicious stuffed peppers work as a crowd-pleasing starter, light lunch - or as a veggie accompaniment to a main meal
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2tbsp chopped lemon thyme
- 75g (3oz) semi-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 200g bag baby spinach
- 4 large field mushrooms
- 75g (3oz) Gorgonzola, cubed
You can make the mushrooms right to the final stage the night before. Cool, cover and chill overnight - then cook in the oven as in step 3.
- Heat half the oil in a pan, add the onion and gently cook for 15 mins until very soft. Add the sugar, garlic and lemon thyme, and cook for a further 2 mins. Add the semi-dried tomatoes, season well and set to one side.
- Put the spinach in a large pan with a splash of water. Heat through for a couple of minutes until lightly wilted. Season and squeeze out any excess water.
- Put each mushroom on a baking sheet, drizzle with the remaining oil and season. Divide the spinach and put on top of the four mushrooms, now add the cheese and then the onion and tomato mixture. Bake for 10-15 mins in a preheated oven at 180°C (350ºF, gas mark 4) until cooked through and the cheese oozes out. Serve on a bed of fresh salad leaves with an extra drizzle of olive oil.