Fruity streusel slices
Crunchy nuts, zesty lemon and juicy fruits combine to make these truly irresistible traditional streusel slices
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 175g (6oz) butter
- 150g (5oz) light brown muscovado sugar
- 60g (2oz) ground almonds
- 1 large egg
- 500g (1lb) mixed raspberries and blueberries
- 30g (1oz) chopped pistachio nuts or hazelnuts
- 30g (1oz) flaked almonds
- 18 x 28cm (7 x 11in) traybake tin, lined with baking parchment
Give this recipe some zing by adding ground cinnamon, ginger or vanilla essence to bring out the fruity flavours.
- Put the flour in a food processor with the lemon zest and butter, and whizz to mix. Add sugar and almonds and blend until crumbly. (Or rub butter into flour to breadcrumb stage, stir in lemon zest and ground almonds.)
- Spoon out 175g (6oz) of this mixture and set aside for the topping. Add the egg to the rest left in the food processor and mix to a smooth but sticky dough (or use a round-bladed knife to mix it in a bowl). Press lumps of this mixture into the tin, using the back of a spoon or your hand.
- Spread the fruit over the base mixture. Stir the chopped and flaked nuts into
- the reserved topping mixture and sprinkle over the fruits. Press it down gently.
- Bake in the middle of a preheated oven at 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6) for 35-40 minutes until golden. If it browns too much, cover with paper or foil. Cool in the tin. Cut into slices. Serve with cream, if desired.