Lemon baked Alaska
Cooking time:(may need an extra 5 mins)
Lemon curd gives a tangy twist to this melt-in-the-mouth dessert favourite. Guaranteed to impress!
For the sponge base:
- 2 large eggs
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 60g (2oz) plain flour
- Finely-grated rind of 1 lemon
For the filling:
- 4 level tbsp lemon curd
- 175-250g (6-8oz) raspberries
- 4 large scoops of vanilla ice-cream
For the meringue:
- 2 large egg whites
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar
- A few raspberries and sprigs of mint, for decoration
- 4 x 12cm (4½ in) fluted flan tins, buttered and base lined
- Baking sheet
Don't leave any gaps in the cake base or meringue, otherwise the heat of the oven will melt the ice cream.
- To make the sponge bases, place the eggs and caster sugar in a bowl and whisk, preferably using an electric whisk, until the mixture is thick and creamy and a trail is left when the beaters are lifted out of the bowl. Sift the flour over the surface and add the lemon rind. Carefully fold the flour into the whisked mixture, taking care not to knock out too much air.
- Place the flan tins on a baking sheet and divide the mixture between them. Bake in the centre of the oven at 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4) for 15-20 minutes, until the sponge is lightly golden and springs back when lightly touched. Place the flan tins on a wire rack and leave them for 5 minutes before turning out the sponges to cool completely.
- Spread lemon curd over the sponge bases and arrange raspberries on top and then a scoop of ice-cream on each.
- To make the meringue, whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually beat in the sugar. Spread the meringue
- over each of the desserts.
- Bake desserts in a hot oven 220°C (430°F, gas mark 7) for 3-5 minutes, or until the meringue just tinges brown. Remove them from the oven right away, decorate each one with a few raspberries and a sprig of mint and serve. Serve immediately.