Serves: 8 +
Total time:(plus cooling and setting time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This delicious caramel millionaire's shortbread is super-easy to make. The secret? A jar of dulce de leche for the filling - naughty but very nice! This classic tray bake is just the kind of recipe we think everyone should be able to whip up on a grey day. The layers of sweet caramel, buttery shortbread and rich chocolate are a match made in heaven and make millionaire's shortbread one of those incredibly moreish treats. This lovely method for a millionaire's shortbread keeps prep to a minimum so you have time to put your feet up and enjoy a slice, rather than having to fuss over the boiling points of caramel and other such thins. Our recipe for millionaire's shortbread serves over eight people, so it's perfect for a party or an afternoon tea.
- 150g (5oz) butter
- 75g (3oz) caster sugar
- 225g (8oz) plain flour
- 450g jar dulce de leche (milk caramel, which you'll find in the baking aisle)
- 250g (9oz) dark or milk chocolate, melted
23cm x 33cm (9in x 13in) baking tin
The shortbread can be enjoyed without the sauce and chocolate - just mark out the portions and sprinkle with a little sugar before baking.
- Beat the butter and the sugar together until pale and creamy. Sift in the flour and beat until combined (if using a food processor, whiz the ingredients until they're just combined).
- Tip the mixture into a baking tin. Press lightly into the tin and prick all over with a fork. Bake for 30-35 mins at 180°C, 350°F or gas 4 until it turns a pale biscuit colour. Cool in the tin, making it easier to pour over the caramel sauce later.
- Heat the jar of dulce de leche for 1 min in the microwave (or pour into a pan and heat gently, so it pours more easily). Pour on top of the shortbread in the tin and smooth with a spatula. Allow to set in the fridge, then pour the melted chocolate over the top. Smooth with a palette knife and put back in the fridge to set completely.
- To store, cut into squares and keep your millionaire's shortbread in an airtight box in the fridge for up to three days.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 447(kcal)
- Fat 23.0g
- Saturates 14.0g
- Sugars 35.0g
- Salt 0.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.