Apple and blackberry pie
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
You don't even need a dish to make this easy-peasy fruit pie, as the pastry becomes the dish! And it's a cheap pudding if you go and pick the blackberries yourself.
- 500g (1lb 2oz) shortcrust pastry
- 2 large cooking apples, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 150g (5oz) blackberries
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 6 cloves
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2tbsp demerara sugar
Top tip: Don't forget to warn everyone about the cloves! You could also serve this delicious pie with hot custard.
- Roll out the pastry and cut a circle about 30cm (12in) round. Place on a baking sheet.
- Mix the apples and blackberries with the lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and cloves. Spoon into the centre of the pastry circle.
- Bring up the edges of the pastry around the fruit, but don't cover it completely. Brush the outside of the pastry with beaten egg and press sugar all over it.
- Bake at 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6) for 30-40 mins until golden brown and the fruit is cooked. Serve with lots of cream.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 460(kcal)
- Fat 25.0g
- Saturates 8.0g
- Sugars 18.0g
- Salt 0.9g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.