Peppercorn steak and chips
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Splashing out
This classic peppercorn steak and chips recipe is a real crowd pleaser and perfect for a romantic meal for two or if you're hosting a dinner party and want to impress. It will take only 15 mins to cook your steak - depending on how you like it; rare, medium rare or well done. This tender cut of meat is infused with peppercorns, garlic and just perfect served with juicy tomatoes and homemade chips. You can cheat and use readymade chips if you're short on time - we won't tell if you don't! A deliciously juicy steak dinner for two - just add dim lighting, romantic music and a nice bottle of wine.
- 2 small sirloin steaks
- 2tbsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 2tsp olive oil
- 200g (7oz) cherry tomatoes on the vine
- ½ bulb garlic, skin on, lightly crushed
- 6tbsp zero-fat Greek yogurt
- 2tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1tbsp chopped basil leaves
- Low-fat potato wedges or chips, to serve (optional)
Cook the steak for 1-2 mins on each side. When the juices start to show on the surface of the steak, it should be medium rare to medium.
- Coat the steaks in the peppercorns. Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan and add the tomatoes and garlic. Cook for 10 mins.
- Push the tomatoes and garlic to one side and add the steaks. Fry on a high heat for 2 mins on each side, until cooked to your liking.
- Mix the yogurt and mustard together, then add the basil and stir through.
- Serve the steak and tomatoes with the yogurt dip and potato wedges or chips, if desired.