Red onion and feta tart
Costs: Cheap as chips
An authentic Greek salty cheese really makes the most of the sweet, caramelised onions and rich flaky pastry in this tart. Delicious!
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 3 red onions, finely sliced
- 2tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 350g (12oz) ready-rolled puff pastry
- 2tbsp fruity chutney
- 200g (7oz) feta cheese, crumbled
Remove the pastry from the fridge 15 mins before using, so it unrolls easily.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan, add the onions and stir well. Cover and cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the thyme, season and cook uncovered for a further 2 mins. The onions should be soft and caramelised.
- Cut 5cm (2in) off the bottom of the pastry where the fold mark is. Score a border 1cm (½in) from the edge, put on a baking sheet and prick the base with a fork
- Spread the chutney over the pastry and add the onions, without going over the rim. Add the feta and bake at 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7) for 15 mins.