Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Bread sauce is a staple when it comes to Christmas lunch, and making it is so easy thanks to our easy bread sauce recipe. This bread sauce is really quick to make, so you only need 5 mins to prep it and can have it ready in 35 minutes in total. The best part about this bread sauce is that it can be made in advance of Christmas Day. This bread sauce recipe is the perfect excuse to not buy ready-made bread sauce - it's quick and easy to make your own at home and it tastes so much better. This simple homemade bread sauce recipe will show how to make bread sauce in just four easy steps, so you don't have to spend much time in the kitchen. Our classic bread sauce is perfect drizzled over your Sunday roast or Christmas dinner, as delicious and indulgent to pour over a tasty roast. This thick, creamy sauce combines breadcrumbs, butter, cream and milk together to make one delightful side. The onion, cloves and bay leaf combo adds a delicious aroma to the sauce. This bread sauce recipe serves 6 to 8 people so it's enough to serve for your family if you're having everyone round to your home this Christmas. So why not try our simple bread sauce recipe for your Christmas lunch? Everyone will love it and we bet it'll be the talk of Christmas dinner!
- 1 small red onion
- 6 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 400ml (14fl oz) milk
- 100g (4oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 100ml (3½ fl oz) double cream
Use leftover bread to make breadcrumbs: just whizz four slices of day-old bread in a processor.
- Stud the onion with the cloves and put in a saucepan along with the bay leaves and milk.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins. Leave for 10 mins and then strain the milk into a bowl, removing the onion and bay leaves.
- Transfer the milk to a pan, add the breadcrumbs and stir in the butter and double cream. Season and simmer for 5 mins until thickened.
- Pour into a bowl and top with onion and bay leaves.