Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Try our simple bread sauce recipe for your Christmas lunch. The bread sauce is ready in 35 minutes and can be made in advance of Christmas Day. Don't buy ready-made bread sauce: it's quick and easy to make your own at home - and it tastes so much better. Our classic bread sauce is perfect drizzled over your Sunday roast or Christmas dinner. This thick, creamy sauce combines breadcrumbs, butter, cream and milk together to make one delightful side. The onion, cloves and bay leaf combo adds a delicious aroma to the sauce. This recipe serves 6-8 people and takes only 30 mins to cook.
- 1 small red onion
- 6 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 400ml (14fl oz) milk
- 100g (4oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 100ml (3½ fl oz) double cream
Use leftover bread to make breadcrumbs: just whizz four slices of day-old bread in a processor.
- Stud the onion with the cloves and put in a saucepan along with the bay leaves and milk.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins. Leave for 10 mins and then strain the milk into a bowl, removing the onion and bay leaves.
- Transfer the milk to a pan, add the breadcrumbs and stir in the butter and double cream. Season and simmer for 5 mins until thickened.
- Pour into a bowl and top with onion and bay leaves.