Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This tofu dish tastes absolutely divine - thanks to the combination of oyster sauces, spices, mushrooms and mangetout. It's the perfect dish for vegetarians and makes a great alternative to your Saturday night takeaway. You can now buy tofu in most supermarkets. This dish serves 2 people but if you're catering for more just adjust your portion sizes accordingly. Tuck in!
- 2 x 200g packs tofu
- Chinese five-spice
- Vegetable oil
- 150g packet Chinese mushrooms
- 150g (5oz) mangetout
- Soy sauce
- Oyster sauce
- 2 x 150g packs straight-to-wok rice noodles
- Spring onions
Top tip: 'Chinese Five-Spice' balances the five flavours found in Chinese cooking - sweet, sour, bitter, savoury and salty.
- Mix the tofu, cut into strips, with 1tsp Chinese five-spice. Fry in vegetable oil until crispy, then drain.
- Stir-fry the Chinese mushrooms and mangetout, cut into strips, then add 1tbsp soy sauce and 2tbsp oyster sauce.
- Add the rice noodles and heat through. Serve the noodles with the tofu and sprinkle over sliced spring onions.