Skill level: Easy peasy
This classic carrot soup is an easy soup packed full of flavour, with sweet scented cinnamon and caraway adding an unusual depth. Make this recipe year-round for a comforting and speedy dish that the whole family will love. Roasting the carrots first gets the most flavour out of them and when it comes to puréeing them, they come out really sweet and delicious. Sometimes they lose a little flavour if you boil them, so it's worth going to the extra effort to make the soup. If you want to get creative, you could also add some parsnips into the mix for a little added flavour and sweetness. This recipe serves 4 people and will take 20-30 mins to prepare and cook. A portion of this homemade soup works out at only 105 calories per serving.
- 450g (1lb) carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp brown sugar
- 1tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- ½ tbsp caraway seeds
- 1ltr (1¾ pt) chicken or vegetable stock
- Single cream
Crisp up parsnip slices in the oven for a stylish garnish.
- Place the carrots, olive oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, cayenne and caraway seeds in a preheated oven at 200°C/400ºF/gas mark 6 and roast until soft.
- Transfer to a blender and blitz with the chicken stock, then pour into a pan and heat through.
- Season well and serve with a swirl of cream.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 105(kcal)
- Fat 4.0g
- Saturates 0.8g
- Sugars 9.0g
- Salt 1.3g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.