Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Bit of effort
Chicken casserole recipe is a hearty, family meal made with all the joints of chicken and plenty of vegetables. It’s comfort food packed with veg like mushrooms, carrot, onion and celery, so it can really help you and your family up your 5-a-day intake. This chicken casserole is also a great way to get your kids eating more veg as they're mixed in with the chicken – and make a tasty dinner! This easy chicken casserole only takes 1hr and 15 mins to cook and will serve up to 6 people. This casserole recipe would be perfect served with boiled or jacket potatoes, or rice. You can use all different cuts of chicken in this recipe – try chicken breast meat, thighs or drumsticks. If you have any leftovers, make sure you store them in an airtight container in the fridge. Use within 2 days and thoroughly reheat in the microwave or oven before serving again. It will taste just as delicious so this a great dish to make on a Sunday evening and keep for your lunches during the week – it will save you so much time and money! This chicken casserole is also a filling and nutritious meal that can fit in your diet. A portion of this delicious casserole works out at only 390 calories per serving and 13g of fat – perfect if you’re trying to she pounds in a healthy way!
If you're cooking your chicken casserole with wine, try to use the same wine as the one you're drinking.
- 1 large 2kg (4½ lb) chicken, jointed into 8 pieces
- 100g (4oz) streaky bacon, chopped
- 25g (1oz) soft butter, plus extra for the sauce
- 200g (8oz) small onions or shallots, whole and peeled
- 150g (5oz) button mushrooms
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 stick celery, cut into chunks
- Bouquet garni (bay leaf, thyme, parsley stalks, black peppercorns)
- 500ml (18fl oz) chicken stock
- 300ml (½ pt) white wine
- 25g (1oz) plain flour
- 2tbsp double cream
Chicken casserole recipe garnish
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large cast-iron casserole or frying pan, heat a little oil and brown the chicken pieces all over, then transfer to a plate (you may need to do this in batches). Brown the bacon and put on the plate with the chicken. Add a knob of butter to the oil in the casserole and gently brown the onions and mushrooms, before adding the chicken and bacon back into the casserole.
- Add the carrot, celery, bouquet garni, chicken stock and wine to the chicken and season well. Cover and transfer to a preheated oven at 170ºC (325ºF, gas mark 3) for 30-40 mins.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken and vegetables to a large dish and keep warm. Mix the flour and butter together to form a paste (called a beurre manie).
- Bring the sauce in the casserole to the boil and add a small amount of the beurre manie to it, whisking continuously until dissolved. The mixture should begin to thicken. Add the rest of the beurre manie a little at a time until you have reached the desired thickness (you may not need all of it).
- Stir in the double cream, then pour over the chicken and sprinkle with some chopped parsley.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 390(kcal)
- Fat 13.0g
- Saturates 6.0g
- Sugars 4.5g
- Salt 1.4g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.