Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Bit of effort
This easy chicken casserole recipe is a hearty, family-sized meal perfect for making in the winter months. It’s a real winter warmer packed with veggies like mushrooms, onion, celery and carrot, so it can really help you and your family up your 5-a-day intake and you healthy. It’s also a great way to get your kids eating more veg as they’re mixed in with the chicken – they won’t even notice they’re there. This easy chicken casserole only takes 1hr and 15 mins to cook and will serve up to 6 people. This casserole recipe would be perfect served with boiled or jacket potatoes, or rice. You can use all different cuts of chicken in this recipe – try chicken breast meat, thighs or drumsticks. If you have any leftovers, make sure you store them in an airtight container in the fridge. Use within 2 days and thoroughly reheat in the microwave or oven before serving again. It will taste just as delicious so this a great dish to make on a Sunday evening and keep for your lunches during the week – it will save you so much time and money! This chicken casserole is also a filling and nutritious meal that can fit in your diet. A portion of this delicious casserole works out at only 390 calories per serving and 13g of fat – perfect if you’re trying to she pounds in a healthy way!
If you're cooking your chicken casserole with wine, try to use the same wine as the one you're drinking.
- 1 large 2kg (4½ lb) chicken, jointed into 8 pieces
- 100g (4oz) streaky bacon, chopped
- 25g (1oz) soft butter, plus extra for the sauce
- 200g (8oz) small onions or shallots, whole and peeled
- 150g (5oz) button mushrooms
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 stick celery, cut into chunks
- Bouquet garni (bay leaf, thyme, parsley stalks, black peppercorns)
- 500ml (18fl oz) chicken stock
- 300ml (½ pt) white wine
- 25g (1oz) plain flour
- 2tbsp double cream
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large cast-iron casserole or frying pan, heat a little oil and brown the chicken pieces all over, then transfer to a plate (you may need to do this in batches). Brown the bacon and put on the plate with the chicken. Add a knob of butter to the oil in the casserole and gently brown the onions and mushrooms, before adding the chicken and bacon back into the casserole.
- Add the carrot, celery, bouquet garni, chicken stock and wine to the chicken and season well. Cover and transfer to a preheated oven at 170ºC (325ºF, gas mark 3) for 30-40 mins.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken and vegetables to a large dish and keep warm. Mix the flour and butter together to form a paste (called a beurre manie).
- Bring the sauce in the casserole to the boil and add a small amount of the beurre manie to it, whisking continuously until dissolved. The mixture should begin to thicken. Add the rest of the beurre manie a little at a time until you have reached the desired thickness (you may not need all of it).
- Stir in the double cream, then pour over the chicken and sprinkle with some chopped parsley.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 390(kcal)
- Fat 13.0g
- Saturates 6.0g
- Sugars 4.5g
- Salt 1.4g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.