Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Christmas cabbage makes a delicious savoury side to cut through the richness of your meat and potatoes on the big day. This traditional Christmas cabbage recipe uses cranberries to provides a touch more festive flavour and gives a sharp edge to stop the cabbage tasting too sweet. And the best bit? This simple recipe is perfect for making ahead, leaving you to get on with last minute prep on the days leading up to Christmas. You can make this up to a month before, leave to cool completely and pop into the freezer in boxes. Make sure to defrost the cabbage thoroughly in the fridge before warming through. It will keep its texture perfectly and some people actually think it tastes even better when made ahead, as all the flavours have longer to combine and develop - delicious!
- 75g (3oz) butter (or dairy-free spread)
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) red cabbage, very finely sliced
- 300ml (½pt) port
- 4tbsp cranberry sauce
- 75g pack dried cranberries
- 2tbsp light muscovado sugar
This one actually tastes better for sitting overnight in the fridge. Just cool, cover and store in the fridge overnight. Reheat in a pan or in the microwave.
- Melt the butter in a large heavy-based pan, add the onions and gently cook for 15 mins until very soft. Stir in the remaining ingredients, plus 150ml (¼pt) water and salt and black pepper.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove lid and cook for a further 15 mins until all the liquid has gone. Check seasoning and serve.
More red cabbage recipes!