Coconut and lime tart
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
For a once-in-a-while, super-indulgent treat, this deliciously creamy dessert is absolutely unbeatable
- 350g (12oz) ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 300ml (½ pint) double cream
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 200ml (7fl oz) coconut cream
- 100g (3½ oz) caster sugar
- Zest of 2 limes
If you're watching the cals, substitute the double cream and the coconut cream for reduced-fat versions from the supermarket.
- Roll out the pastry to line a 20cm fluted tart tin. Line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans or dried pulses. Bake at 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5) for 10 mins. Remove the paper and beans, then bake for a further 5 mins until the pastry is golden.
- Beat the remaining ingredients together and pour into the pastry case. Bake at 170°C (325°F, gas mark 3) for 20-25 mins until lightly set.
For more great family recipes every month, subscribe to Essentials Magazine