Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Cranberry sauce is a classic side that can be used all year round and for a variation of dishes. Most traditionally used at Christmas as a sauce for turkey, cranberry sauce can be bought in the shops but, like most things, the homemade version tastes so much better. The good news is that homemade cranberry sauce is actually really easy to make. You simply need to simmer the 5 ingredients together until the sauce is thick and sticky. Cranberry sauce is also delicious used in a pie, pastry or sandwich.
- 450g (1lb) fresh or defrosted cranberries
- 150ml (¼ pint) port
- 100g (4oz) golden caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Juice of ½ orange
Fancy a lighter version? Leave out the cinnamon and add the grated zest of half an orange, and one peeled and finely chopped apple.
- To make the cranberry sauce, put all the ingredients in a saucepan along with 300ml (½ pint) water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins until the cranberries are soft and have burst open.
- Store in a sealed jar until you need to use it and then enjoy on Christmas Day.