Chocolate and raspberry tart
Melt-in-the-mouth chocolate, juicy raspberries and sweet crumbly pastry team up in this super-indulgent dessert
For the pastry:
- 150g (5oz) plain flour
- 4 level tbsp icing sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 100g (3½ oz) unsalted butter
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 4 tbsp raspberry conserve
For the filling:
- 284ml carton whipping cream
- 2 tbsp liquid glucose (available from Tesco)
- 200g bar dark chocolate
- 50g (1¾ oz) unsalted butter
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- Fresh raspberries and chocolate curls or fans, to serve
- Icing sugar, to dust
- 20cm (8in) round, loose-bottomed sandwich tin
Don't have time to make your own pastry? Big supermarkets sell sweet pastry cases that will work just as well with this recipe.
- Tip flour into a bowl and stir in icing sugar and salt. Add the butter, in pieces, and rub it into the flour. Add the egg yolk and bind together, adding 1-2 tbsp water, if necessary. Wrap the pastry in a plastic bag and chill it for about 15 mins.
- Roll pastry out and use it to line the sandwich tin. Trim around the top to neaten it
- and prick the base. Place tin on a baking sheet, line it with baking parchment and baking beans. Bake in the centre of the oven for 12-15 mins at 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4), then remove tin from oven and lift out baking parchment with baking beans. Return tin to the oven for a further 3-5 mins, or until the pastry is cooked through. Remove the tin from the oven and leave it to cool.
- Remove pastry case from tin and place it on a serving plate. Spread jam over base.
- To make the chocolate filling, bring cream to the boil, remove pan from heat and stir in liquid glucose. Pour cream over chocolate and stir until it's melted. Add butter and vanilla extract and stir until melted. Pour the chocolate into the case. Chill until filling has set.
- Decorate tart with raspberries and chocolate curls or fans, and dust with icing sugar.