Chocolate fudge cake
Cooking time:(plus cooling time)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Our easy chocolate fudge cake recipe is a classic you'll love. Forget counting calories and give yourself a treat with this sweet, gooey chocolate fudge cake recipe. The deliciously indulgent dark chocolate and golden syrup sauce makes this cake taste heavenly and will keep it moist for up 3 days if stored properly in an airtight container. A soft rich chocolate sponge with a thick, dark chocolate icing makes this cake irresistible. This cake takes 20 mins to prepare and will serve up to 10 people. It’s the perfect chocolate fudge cake recipe that’s ideal as a birthday cake – you could top it with Maltesers or chocolate fingers to make it extra special.
For the cake:
- 200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into small pieces
- 140g butter, softened
- 200g light muscovado sugar
- 5 medium eggs, separated
- 1tsp baking powder
- 100g plain flour
For the icing:
- 250g dark chocolate
- 1tbsp golden syrup
- 100g unsalted butter
You need a good dark chocolate for a rich flavour. Try Green & Black's - or go for the supermarket's own brand.
- For the cake, melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating as you go. Fold in the baking powder and flour and stir in the melted chocolate.
- Whisk the egg whites until they hold their shape, then gently fold into the cake mixture.
- Tip the mixture into a 20cm loose-based tin lined with greaseproof paper. Bake at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 for 35 mins, or until a cocktail stick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin on a wire rack.
- For the icing, put all the ingredients in a bowl over a pan of simmering water until the chocolate and butter have melted. Stir and allow to cool.
- Put the icing in the fridge and stir every 5 mins, until ready to spread over the cooled cake.
Like this? You’ll love Mary Berry’s chocolate cake recipe