Chocolate and orange soufflé
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 25g (1oz) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1tbsp Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- 4 medium egg whites
- 1tsp oil
- 4tbsp half-fat crème fraîche
- 25g (1oz) dark chocolate, grated
Making this dessert for the kids, too? You can leave out the booze and it'll still taste great.
- Put the sugar, orange zest and juice in a pan. Simmer, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved and liquid is syrupy. Pour into a bowl and stir in the cocoa powder and liqueur.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until they form firm peaks. Stir 2tbsp into the syrup. Fold in the rest using a large metal spoon.
- Divide the mixture between four 225ml ramekins greased with oil. Bake at 150°C (300°F, gas mark 2) for 8 to 10 mins or until the soufflés have risen and are firm to the touch.
- Spoon crème fraîche into the middle, scatter chocolate on top and serve immediately.