Pamela Dalley's fruity date cake
This traditional fruit cake recipe is always a big success for Pamela Dalley.
- 100g (4oz) butter
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 100g (4oz) soft dark brown sugar
- 75g (3oz) sultanas
- 1 medium banana, mashed in 150ml (1/4 pint) water
- Handful of dried dates, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2tbsp milk
- Walnut halves, to decorate
The cake will keep for a week wrapped in cling film in an airtight container.
- In a large bowl, rub the butter and flour together until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the sugar, sultanas, banana and dates. Add the eggs and milk.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 20cm (8in) round cake tin. Decorate with the walnut halves.
- Bake at Gas 4/180°C/350°F for 45 mins, or until a skewer comes out nearly clean (it will always stick a bit because of the dates).
- Allow to cool for 10 mins in the tin before turning out.