Vanessa Jones' bacon and cheese pasta
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This cheesy pasta dish with bacon and mushrooms is bound to be as much of a hit with your family, as it is with Vanessa Jones'- her kids can't get enough of it.
- Pasta shapes or spaghetti (about 50g to 75g per person)
- 6 rashers bacon, chopped
- 10 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 25g (1oz) flour
- 1/2 pint of milk
- Handful of grated cheese
To make into a pasta bake, pour the pasta and sauce into a ceramic dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake at 190°C/375°F/gas 5 for 30 mins.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water according to packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon, mushrooms, onion and garlic for 10 mins, until done.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter and add the flour. Gradually stir in the milk, whisking to get rid of any lumps.
- Bring the sauce to the boil, then simmer. Add the cheese and allow it to melt.
- Take the sauce off the heat, mix in the bacon, mushrooms, onion and garlic. Pour over the drained pasta and serve.