Wanda MacIntosh's curried squash soup
Try this spicy and filling soup sent in by Wanda Mackintosh - it's simple to make and perfect for those cold nights.
- 1 onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Olive or vegetable oil
- 1 to 2tsp curry powder (depending how hot you want it)
- 3 to 6 cloves garlic (depending on your tastes), chopped
- 5cm (2in) fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups butternut squash, baked or steamed until tender then chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tin coconut milk (optional, but very nice)
- 1 lime
- Put the chopped onion in a big pot, sprinkle with salt and sauté.
- When the onion's browning, add the curry powder and cook for a further minute
- Add the garlic, ginger and butternut squash. Add enough stock to cover.
- Cook until the squash starts to break down (normally about 15 mins). Remove from the heat and let it cool.
- Once cool, put the soup into a blender or food processor and whisk until smooth. Add the coconut milk (if using) and whisk this in too.
- Taste and season as needed. Squeeze lime juice on top before serving.